by Danielle Waugh
May 21st 2020
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention released new guidelines for schools to safely re-open amid the coronavirus pandemic.
The 60 page CDC document discusses recommendations for schools starting on page 45.
Some of the guidelines include:
- Face coverings for all staff members — with coverings encouraged for students
- Cleaning and disinfecting of high-touch surfaces daily
- Restrictions on mixing of students, keeping the same groups of students with the same staff members as much as possible
- Canceling of field trips, events, and extracurricular activities
- Spacing desks 6 ft. apart, facing the same direction
- Closing dining halls and serving meals in classrooms
- Spacing on school buses, putting one student in every other row
- Minimize sharing of objects such as electronic devices
- Serving pre-packaged food instead of buffet-style meals when possible
- Conducting daily health screenings, such as temperature checks
The Florida Department of Education has not yet released its recommendations for public schools in Florida.
Channel 3 talked with some Northwest Florida school districts earlier this week. They’re hopeful to return to classrooms in fall and discussed some of their plans.
JOIN THE MOVEMENT #iBELIEVE